If your business in Marin uses hazardous chemicals, implementing responsible waste practices is crucial, and Junk King can make the process a lot easier. We can play an important role in the pickup and responsible disposal of your waste, but you’ll need to make sure chemicals are handled safely while they remain at your site. We have a successful history of working with businesses, schools and other organizations.
Proper Storage and Segregation
Before we can start picking up your chemical waste, you’ll want to create a proper storage setup that accounts for the safety of everyone in your building. Here are the best practices you will need to follow:
- Designate a storage area for chemicals that’s close to where waste is generated. It should be clearly labeled and as far away as possible from normal lab or business activities.
- Use containers that are compatible with the chemical you’re storing by using chemical compatibility guidelines. Make sure these containers are properly sized and secured.
- Ensure each container has a hazardous waste tag. Remove other labels, except for the original product label, to eliminate confusion about what’s inside the container.
- You must request a collection of your chemical waste before certain time and quantity limits are reached. If waste is 90 days old, it must be disposed of. You also must get rid of waste that’s reached a quantify of 55 gallons.
By following these best practices, we can handle the disposal part of the process quickly and with very little hassle. If you have any questions about the proper storage of the chemicals at your facility, one of our waste experts may be able to help.
Types of Chemical Waste
There are four main types of chemical waste that help us determine how to conduct proper disposal. These characteristics are also important for you to pay attention to for the safety of everyone that’s near these chemicals. These categories include:
- Innocuous aqueous waste – Mild acids and alkalies, hypochlorite solutions, TLC grade alumina and silica and alcohol containing salt
- Organic solvents – Chloroform, chlorobenzene, ethyl acetate, methane, hexane and methanol
- Red list – Biocides, cyanides, metal phosphides, fluorides and nitrites.
- Solid waste – Gloves, syringes, test tubes, centrifuges and other solid materials contaminated by chemicals.
Very special care must be taken with many of these chemicals, especially on the red list, as they can be harmful to the health of any person exposed to them. The person or team responsible for handling chemicals should also consult updated Material Safety Data Sheets as well as any federal or state laws regarding the usage of chemicals. We’re here to help you with the process in any way we can.
Schedule Chemical Waste Removal with Junk King
At Junk King Marin, we’re dedicated to providing fast, compliant, cost-effective and sustainable chemical waste solutions for our customers. Whether you run a medial laboratory or manufacturing facility, we can pick up your waste on a regular basis so that you comply with safety standards. We can also perform one-time pickups after special projects. Contact us today to speak with one of our experts about your chemical disposal needs.