Is your home filled with stuff? In a culture of consumerism, it’s no surprised that many of us live in houses overflowing with clothes, kitchen gadgets, half-forgotten mementos, and toys. (Did you know that merely 3% of the world’s children come from U.S. consumers, yet we purchase 40% of the world’s toys?) But how is your mood effected by what is in your house? Does clutter make you depressed?
- Clutter makes us feel guilty. We associate a clean house with success. When our homes are stuffed to the brim it creates feelings of embarrassment and guilt at our perceived failure.
- Clutter is exhausting. It overwhelms our senses with things that are not important, forcing us to notice, notice, notice what is always around us.
- Clutter causes anxiety. Not only is it a constant distraction, but it reminds us that our work isn’t completed and makes us feel that we may never get it all done.
- Clutter outside our bodies causes mental crowding. We need open spaces to maximize on our creativity and productivity.
Scientific studies have shown that there is a direct correlation between the number of objects in the home and the stress levels and depression in the homeowners. It’s clear that it is time for a change! Junk King Austin has some tips to help you de-clutter and de-stress:
- Call in for backup. Get everyone on board, assigning areas to each person.
- Avoid ‘storing’ items in visible spaces. Designate areas for frequently used items in hidden spaces like drawers and cabinets. Keep in mind that leaving things were you can see them will not reduce the visual stimuli that generates stress.
- Carefully consider the items you will keep. Do you really need it? Do you use it? If you haven’t used it in over a year, it’s probably safe to get rid of it.
- Foster new habits. Retrain yourself to put things away as soon as you’re done using them. If that seems a daunting task, start with your kitchen and your work space. Consistently leaving these areas clean and tidy will reduce your stress and will help you feel satisfied with the progress you’ve made.
As always, Junk King Austin is here to help. We haul away everything but hazardous waste, including boxes, items, furniture, and large appliances like refrigerators, hot tubs, and more. We can even go in and clean out entire areas for you, such as rooms, garages, closets, sheds, and businesses. Give us a call or book online today to take charge of your home and reduce your stress.