June is here and with it is grilling season. Hosting a picnic is a great motivator to refresh your backyard. Let this be the summer you make a change that inspires more time spent outside.
Summer is right around the corner, and with it comes the added stress of children getting out of school, college students returning home, vacations to plan, graduation parties to attend, and weddings to go to. Though this time of year is marked with sweet watermelon and bright fireworks, summer organization is a keystone to making the most out of our holidays. Junk King Austin has some useful tips to help your family achieve summer organization this year.
1. Prioritize Early - With all of the chaos that accompanies summer, it’s important to make sure you nail down what is most important as soon as possible. Spend some quality time with your planner and look at what’s ahead. Soon enough the days will fill with swimming lessons, BBQ’s, and Fourth of July celebrations. Ask yourself what things are the most important this summer and work out how to make them happen. Summer organization doesn’t require tons of planning; even just a little thought can go a long way.
2. Pack a Pool Bag - Going swimming for the first time is always a summertime milestone – usually followed by even more trips to the pool or lake. To save time on preparing to go, and to lessen the risk of forgetting something crucial (like sunscreen!), pack a pool bag. To start, pick out a large tote bag. Mesh bags work especially well because they allow air to pass through and keep items dry. Add all of the essentials: sunscreen, goggles, diving toys, membership cards or pool keys, flip flops, and a towel. When it’s time to swim, all you have to remember now is the pool bag and your swimsuit. Don’t forget to replace items when you get home, such as adding a fresh towel!
3. Stock Up on Groceries - With everyone home more often, the food seems to disappear more than twice as fast. Now is the time to make sure summer doesn’t equal gallons of sugary drinks and mountains of candy and chips. Stock up on healthy foods (like mixed nuts) and think about diversifying the lunch menu to include things like salads with chickpeas, tortilla wraps, and oven-baked vegetables.
4. Get Your Car Cleaned - It may seem like a waste of time to clean out a vehicle days before it will become a Super Taxi, but trust us on this one. Having your car cleaned now will start off the summer with a clean slate. It will be easier to find things that were dropped, will make road trips more pleasant, and can help minimize the damage of the coming weeks.
5. Jumpstart the House Cleaning - Even if you missed the traditional spring cleaning, it’s not too late to get the house in order. Summer organization starts with the home, so make sure to get everyone off on the right foot by starting the summer with a clean and organized home. If you need help removing large appliances (washers, hot tubs, refrigerators), would like your garage cleaned out, or want your deck removed, give Junk King a call and we will handle it for you.
Junk King Austin would love to help you with your summer organization this year. We make the task easy by doing all the heavy lifting and cleaning up after ourselves. You can make a list and we will take care of it: yard waste, storage spaces clean outs, furniture, clutter and junk, boxes, garage and attic clean outs, large appliances, hot tubs, deck removals, and more. Book online or give us a call to receive your free estimate today!
April arrives with the age old desire to deep clean the house. Spring cleaning is a tradition worth keeping around – after all, our homes could always use some extra love. However, for today’s family, making the time to spring clean can be daunting and exhausting. Junk King Austin understand the needs of busy families. We’ve put together a list of easy spring cleaning tips to help even the busiest homeowners to take part in the tradition.
1. Carpet Refresh - To freshen up your carpets, move your furniture out of the way, vacuum the floor as usual, and then sprinkle baking soda liberally onto the carpets, making sure to cover the entire area. Let it sit as long as possible before vacuuming it up. The longer it sits, the more odors from feet, pets, and food the baking soda can absorb. However, even if you need to vacuum it up immediately, the baking soda will still refresh your carpet.
2. Curtain Love - Cleaning the curtains can make your windows seem brighter and more cheerful. There are spray-on products designed to clean the curtains before steaming them, but in the absence of cleaner, steam them! Work from the bottom to the top (steam rises), and unless your curtains are very thick you’ll only need to do one side.
3. Sun Your Pillows and Cushions - This easy spring cleaning trick takes almost no time, but can only be done on a sunny day with no chance of rain. Did you know that sunlight kills dust mites? Revitalize your pillows and cushions by stripping them and leaving them out in the sun. Give them at least an hour in full sun on each side before bringing them inside and redressing them. This can also work for duvets hung out on a line.
4. Quick Mattress Clean - Next time you strip the bed, sprinkle baking soda evenly across the mattress. Let it sit as long as possible to absorb odors, oils, and dirt before vacuuming it up.
5. Let Someone Else Do Your Heavy Lifting - Junk King Austin loves to help with spring cleaning. If you have unwanted furniture, large “junk” items, broken appliances, or anything heavy you want removed, getting rid of it is just a phone call away. You don’t even have to break a sweat to give your home some TLC.
Junk King can turn easy spring cleaning into the easiest spring cleaning ever. Just point and we will haul it off: indoors, outdoors, hot tubs, deck removals, boxes, garage clean outs, office spaces, storage units, unwanted furniture, yard waste, concrete, and more. Always environmentally conscious, Junk King donates or recycles up to 60% of what we collect. Give us a call today or book online for your free estimate!
Andy Beumel, the “Junk King of Austin”, has some tips for responsibly dealing with the junk you may not want any more.
Spring is officially here, and with it the promise of spending a lot more time outdoors. If you’ve been hibernating all winter, you may not have spent much time in your yard. With the warmer temperatures on the way, now is the best time for refreshing the garden. In honor of the change of season, Junk King Austin has some thoughts on refreshing the garden, as well as the outside of your home.
- Weeding – A classic worst childhood chore, weeding can seem an overwhelming task. Start small, dedicating a few days to a certain portion of the yard. Take breaks, drink plenty of water, and don’t forget to wear gloves. With some consistency, the weeds will be gone, leaving a manicured space behind.
- Pruning – Cutting back trees and bushes is a sure way to make your home appear well kept and improve your street appeal. Don’t know what to do with the branches? Give Junk King Austin a call and we’ll haul them away for you!
- Love Your Mailbox – If your mailbox is in front of your house, consider freshening it up. Are any letters or numbers missing? Does it need a fresh coat of paint? Are there any overgrown plants next to it? Improving the mailbox is simple but makes any home seem more welcoming and cheerful.
- Doormats – Doormats get a lot of use. When was the last time yours was cleaned or replaced? Upgrading your doormats can significantly clean up your entryways.
- Plants – If you have a dedicated area for plants, now is the time for refreshing the garden. Be sure to take note of sunlight and shade before heading down to your local garden center.
- Decks – Decks are a wonderful addition to any home. Before the summer cookouts start, take the time to check your deck. Furniture that lives outside may need replacing. The wood may need fresh staining. Perhaps you don’t want to have a deck at all. Luckily, Junk King also handles deck removal.
- Rock Gardens and Succulents – Texas is a dry climate, perfect for cactus and succulents. If you aren’t a lover of gardening, refreshing the garden by turning it into a rock garden with succulents may be perfect for you. Large limestone can be easily planted with succulents, creating minimal work in the future.
- Hot Tubs – If you have a hot tub, get a jump on the season and start cleaning it out now. If you have a hot tub you no longer want, give Junk King a call – we do hot tub removals!
Refreshing the garden can be made easier with Junk King Austin. We will help you remove your yard waste (trees trimmings, rocks, etc), old furniture, hot tubs, and unwanted decks. We don’t have to stay just outside, though. Junk King cleans out homes, garages, attics, storage spaces, and business spaces as well. We recycle up to 80% of what we collect. For a free estimate, give us a call or book online today!
February has become synonymous with the season of love. This year, don’t forget to love your house! We spend every day in our homes, and often forget how much difference can be made in small changes. A little improvement here and there can make us feel refreshed in our most comfortable space. This February, Junk King Austin offers some tips for showing love to your house.
- Quick Fixes – How often do we put off simple tasks simply because we can’t be bothered in the moment? Take an hour out of your weekend and take care of some of those quick fixes you’ve been avoiding – your house will thank you!
- Wipe Down the Walls – Especially if you have pets or children, a quick wipe down of the walls can make your home feel brighter and cleaner. From spills to cooking splatter, our walls can collect more than we realize. Use a wet rag and gently wipe away forgotten messes.
- Fresh Paint – A fresh coat of paint can make a big difference! Love your house by freshening up the paint on your door frames, mailbox, or baseboards. Even a small area will yield feelings of improvement.
- Dust Hard to Reach Places – From light fixtures to high shelves, every home has hard to reach places. Unfortunately, the dust (and spiders!) seem to have far less trouble reaching those spaces. Clean away the cobwebs and remove the dust; you might be surprised how much a 10 minute cleaning job will change the feel of the room.
- Upgrade the Linens – No one likes to use old towels or sheets worn thin from years of washing, yet we often don’t notice the passing of time on our own linens. Assess your towels and bedclothes. Is it time for an upgrade?
- Replace the Bulbs – Do you have any burned out bulbs? Unless it’s the last bulb in the fixture or the prominent light in a room, it can be easy to ignore a burned out bulb. Light bulbs are an important part of the home. This quick fix will literally leave your home brighter!
- Reassign Clutter-Catchers – We all have spots in our homes that seem to collect clutter. Sometimes it’s a desk or a portion of the kitchen counter. Love your house by stopping the clutter-catching cycle! Repurpose the clutter-catching space. If it’s a counter, turn it into a drink station. If it’s a desk, add a lamp or a set of in-boxes. Whatever the space, assess what else it could be used as. Redefining the area will help you resist the temptation to set things down there.
- Ditch the Clutter – Did you know you don’t even have to remove your own clutter? Junk King can come to your house, storage shed, garden, or office space and will go through it with you – room by room – to remove the clutter. You don’t have to move a single box! Junk King Austin wants to help you love your house this year. Give us a call or book online to get rid of that unwanted clutter.
Clutter isn’t the only thing Junk King removes. We can remove anything – big or small – but hazardous waste. We can take apart decks, and haul away furniture or large appliances. We can take away construction waste, clean out garages or storage spaces, remove hot tubs, and even handle yard waste such as branches, fountains, or stone. Junk King Austin also recycles up to 80% of what we collect. Give us a call or book online today to get your free estimate.
A new year has begun, offering us all a fresh start. Regardless of whether or not you believe in New Year’s Resolutions, this is the perfect time of year to get everything in order. A January cleanse for your home is an ideal way to refresh your living space. This year, think of what areas of your house are often overlooked during your routine clean outs. To help you get the year off to a great start, Junk King Austin has compiled a list of the more forgotten areas of your home to consider during your January cleanse:
- The Big Things – Do you have any broken appliances taking up space? How about outdated furniture? Now is the time to assess the big things in you home and mark them for the chopping block.
- Look Out – Look outside, that is. Hot tubs, mowers, lawn furniture, decks, and fountains – everything outside your home should be considered. Is is all in working order? Should any of it be removed?
- The Pantry – When was the last time you went through all of your cans of food? Food has a way of sitting quietly on the shelf, complete unobtrusive and out of date. Don’t forget your baking cabinet!
- Medicines – No one likes to open a bandaid and find that the adhesive is less than sticky. Go through your medicine cabinet and check the dates. This area of the home is rarely addressed, and the consequences of taking old medicine can be severe!
- Extra Clothes – Sure. your ski trip 10 years ago was awesome, but are you really going to go back? Does it even still fit? Be honest with yourself as you tackle your formal wear, winter clothes, and other seasonal, seldom-worn pieces.
- Craft Closet – It’s all rainbows and glitter until it’s time to get organized. Do you need all that yarn? Is that glue even still liquid? Are you ever going to finish that project?
- Linens – Look through your towels and extra sheets. It’s great to have additional linens on hand, but it’s easy to forget to discard the threadbare sheets and ragged towels.
- Paper – Do you keep old magazines? Do you have a stack of mail? Be brave and sort through it. There’s no use keeping it around if you’ll never look at it again. While you’re at it, make a list of publications and mailers than can be received over the internet. Going paperless has never been more convenient.
- Bathroom – Collecting perfumes, lotions, body scrubs, and tubes of mascara is the fun part, but do you actually use them? Go through your cosmetics and bathroom items. Anything you don’t want, add to a pile. Host a girl’s-night-in-spa-night, and invite your guests to take home the items they try.
- Fantasy Emergencies – We all have items we’ve been holding onto ‘just in case’. Well, it’s time to face the music. If you haven’t used it yet, you probably won’t.
Junk King Austin is always ready to help you take back control of your home. We will do all the heavy lifting, and even offer a free estimate. We can do everything from a garage clean out or picking up an unwanted couch, to hot tub and deck removals. It doesn’t matter where the junk is – we go to homes, offices, storage spaces, buildings, and outdoor spaces. We even donate or recycle up to 80% of what we collect! Give us a call today or book online to begin the process of your January cleanse.
Oh, the holiday season! This time of year is so bright and cheerful – and also a bit overwhelming, exhausting, and messy! With all of the parties, events, family time, and gifts, our homes can look like a magical war zone between Santa’s elves and the Keebler’s elves: full of baked goods and discarded bits of wrapping paper. It can be hard to know how to get back on track. Junk King Austin is all too familiar with this holiday haze. We recommend organizing a bit of a Christmas clean up.
To start, save the boxes! It seems logical to recycle them, but use them instead as a vehicle for decluttering. Commit to filling up every leftover box with items to get rid of, whether clothes, toys, or kitchen accessories. The boxes will also help you keep track of how many new things have entered your home – giving you a starting point for how many objects should leave!
Another, slower method is to get rid of 2 items for every new one you receive. This works well if you tally up areas of the house, such as 3 new items for the kitchen, 5 new clothing items, and 2 new DVDs. These would translate to getting rid of 6 kitchen items, 10 items from the wardrobe, and 3 DVD’s or electronics. This method helps ensure that no one area is suddenly bursting with newly acquired stocking stuffers.
Consider setting up a gift closet for duplicates you have received. Re-gifting can be a great way to save money next year and prevent items from being wasted. Just be sure to label who gave you the gifts so they don’t end up back with the original sender!
Avoid throwing all of your Christmas decorations back in the box. Instead, sort the items and inspect them. Are any of them out of date? Are some of them broken? Are there pieces you didn’t even use? Take the time to assess your decorations and prevent keeping unwanted objects for another Christmas season.
Junk King Austin is always ready to help simplify your life and get your home back in order. We remove items large and small, and will save you time (and your back!) that you could be spending relaxing over the holidays. Junk King services homes, offices buildings, and outdoor spaces, and will remove items large and small – including hard to remove items like hot tubs, decks, and large appliances. Give us a call now or book online today and receive a free estimate.
Christmas is right around the corner, and it with it comes an influx of gifts and visitors. Trying to stay on top of housework between Christmas parties and shopping trips can be daunting, much less trying to get a head start on decluttering for the coming new year. Squeezing in pre-holiday cleaning does not have to be utterly time consuming. Just a little improvement here and there is still work done, and you can see and appreciate the difference. Here are some tips for pre-holiday cleaning:
- Don’t skip over the big items. It’s easy to pass right over the large appliances or pieces of furniture during your assessment, but that doesn’t make them more necessary than smaller bits of clutter. Take a second look at hot tubs, old decks, broken appliances, and old couches, and decide if you really need them. Removing a large item can make a huge aesthetic difference very quickly.
- Think about what new gifts are heading into your home. If you know that some things are being replaced, don’t wait until Santa drops them off to get rid of the old model. If you don’t absolutely need it, and you know you are getting another, go ahead and make room.
- Build decluttering into your schedule. Want to go through your wardrobe but feel you don’t have time? Commit to looking through 5 items of clothing as you are getting dressed in the morning. Anything you don’t want, add to a pile. The pressure of adhering to your morning schedule will help you decide if you really need that sweater.
- Focus on the areas of the house you spend the most time in. Making changes in your kitchen or living room will help you feel accomplished and successful, which will encourage you to continue decluttering.
For the ultimate speed and efficiency, call Junk King. We do all the heavy lifting for you, whether the items you need removed are small boxes or larger items like hot tubs, decks, or couches. In fact, with Junk King, you don’t even have to gather the items up. We will go room by room and take what you point to. Junk King removes junk from homes, offices, storage spaces, buildings, and outdoor spaces. Call now or book online to get your free estimate!
Whether you celebrate Halloween or Fall Harvest, this time of year is a lot of fun for children and adults. However, the combination of costumes, makeup, candy, and sugar high can make for an awful mess as November dawns tomorrow. Junk King Austin has some tips for spooky stain removal to help you get through the post-holiday clean up.
No Halloween night is complete without indulging in some chocolate! Though delicious, this dark-colored treat can melt and leave a stain. To clean up, carefully scrape off as much of the chocolate as you can, working at an angle to prevent further grinding the chocolate into the fabric. Treat the area with your favorite stain remover and wash the item. If necessary, wash again with bleach that is color- or fabric-safe.
2. Chewing Gum
Fun to chew, this candy is for the mouth or trash can only. However, if chewing gum finds its way onto an article of clothing, start by holding ice to it until the gum freezes and turns hard. Working again at an angle to prevent working the gum deeper into the fabric, scrape off as much of the chewing gum as you can. If you have dry-cleaning solvent, apply some to the area. If not, use your favorite stain remover and wash.
3. Hair Products
Fall Festival attendants will of course make sure their hair matches their costume – and will ensure that it stays that way all evening. If your zombie or Frozen Princess used hair spray or hair gel, you may find their clothes are sticky afterward. Before washing the clothing or costume, be sure the scrape off as much of the hair product as you can. Then, apply your choice stain remover and wash in hot water.
4. Hair Dye
Hair dye shows commitment to the costume. It can also show up later in the form of a stain. If the item in question is bleach-safe, soak it for thirty minutes in a gallon of cold water mixed with 1/4 cup chlorine bleach. If the item is not bleach-safe, mix a gallon of cold water with 1/4 cup ammonia. With the stain in the middle, stretch the item over a bucket and carefully pour the mixture over it. Rinse the stained article and then wash it.
5. Oil-based Makeup and Lipstick
What’s Halloween without a little makeup? Unfortunately, what begins on our face does not always stay there. To treat items stained with lipstick or oil-based makeup, begin by testing a unseen area. Using makeup remover or rubbing alcohol, apply a drop to the unseen area. Wait 10 minutes; if there is no color change, then proceed to apply the makeup remover or rubbing alcohol to a washcloth. Wet the stain with the washcloth. Follow with a dry paper towel, pressing on the stain repeatedly until it no longer picks up the makeup. Apply your choice stain remover and wash in warm water. If the stain does not come out, follow these instructions again.
We hope you have a wonderful celebration this evening, and that your post-celebration cleanup is easy and quick. If you want an easy and quick cleanup in other areas, Junk King Austin is here to help. We not only clean out homes, storage spaces, office buildings, and outdoor areas, but we also recycle up to 80% of what we collect. Whether you need large appliances removed (hot tubs, refrigerators, or even deck removals), a storage area cleaned out (garages, attics, storage units), have construction waste to clean up, or just have a piece of furniture you want gone, Junk King is ready to do all the heavy lifting. Call now or book online today and make your life simpler.
- To offer you an estimate in writing
- To beat any written estimate
- The best service in our industry