June is here and with it is grilling season. Hosting a picnic is a great motivator to refresh your backyard. Let this be the summer you make a change that inspires more time spent outside.
Summer is right around the corner, and with it comes the added stress of children getting out of school, college students returning home, vacations to plan, graduation parties to attend, and weddings to go to. Though this time of year is marked with sweet watermelon and bright fireworks, summer organization is a keystone to making the most out of our holidays. Junk King Austin has some useful tips to help your family achieve summer organization this year.
1. Prioritize Early - With all of the chaos that accompanies summer, it’s important to make sure you nail down what is most important as soon as possible. Spend some quality time with your planner and look at what’s ahead. Soon enough the days will fill with swimming lessons, BBQ’s, and Fourth of July celebrations. Ask yourself what things are the most important this summer and work out how to make them happen. Summer organization doesn’t require tons of planning; even just a little thought can go a long way.
2. Pack a Pool Bag - Going swimming for the first time is always a summertime milestone – usually followed by even more trips to the pool or lake. To save time on preparing to go, and to lessen the risk of forgetting something crucial (like sunscreen!), pack a pool bag. To start, pick out a large tote bag. Mesh bags work especially well because they allow air to pass through and keep items dry. Add all of the essentials: sunscreen, goggles, diving toys, membership cards or pool keys, flip flops, and a towel. When it’s time to swim, all you have to remember now is the pool bag and your swimsuit. Don’t forget to replace items when you get home, such as adding a fresh towel!
3. Stock Up on Groceries - With everyone home more often, the food seems to disappear more than twice as fast. Now is the time to make sure summer doesn’t equal gallons of sugary drinks and mountains of candy and chips. Stock up on healthy foods (like mixed nuts) and think about diversifying the lunch menu to include things like salads with chickpeas, tortilla wraps, and oven-baked vegetables.
4. Get Your Car Cleaned - It may seem like a waste of time to clean out a vehicle days before it will become a Super Taxi, but trust us on this one. Having your car cleaned now will start off the summer with a clean slate. It will be easier to find things that were dropped, will make road trips more pleasant, and can help minimize the damage of the coming weeks.
5. Jumpstart the House Cleaning - Even if you missed the traditional spring cleaning, it’s not too late to get the house in order. Summer organization starts with the home, so make sure to get everyone off on the right foot by starting the summer with a clean and organized home. If you need help removing large appliances (washers, hot tubs, refrigerators), would like your garage cleaned out, or want your deck removed, give Junk King a call and we will handle it for you.
Junk King Austin would love to help you with your summer organization this year. We make the task easy by doing all the heavy lifting and cleaning up after ourselves. You can make a list and we will take care of it: yard waste, storage spaces clean outs, furniture, clutter and junk, boxes, garage and attic clean outs, large appliances, hot tubs, deck removals, and more. Book online or give us a call to receive your free estimate today!
April arrives with the age old desire to deep clean the house. Spring cleaning is a tradition worth keeping around – after all, our homes could always use some extra love. However, for today’s family, making the time to spring clean can be daunting and exhausting. Junk King Austin understand the needs of busy families. We’ve put together a list of easy spring cleaning tips to help even the busiest homeowners to take part in the tradition.
1. Carpet Refresh - To freshen up your carpets, move your furniture out of the way, vacuum the floor as usual, and then sprinkle baking soda liberally onto the carpets, making sure to cover the entire area. Let it sit as long as possible before vacuuming it up. The longer it sits, the more odors from feet, pets, and food the baking soda can absorb. However, even if you need to vacuum it up immediately, the baking soda will still refresh your carpet.
2. Curtain Love - Cleaning the curtains can make your windows seem brighter and more cheerful. There are spray-on products designed to clean the curtains before steaming them, but in the absence of cleaner, steam them! Work from the bottom to the top (steam rises), and unless your curtains are very thick you’ll only need to do one side.
3. Sun Your Pillows and Cushions - This easy spring cleaning trick takes almost no time, but can only be done on a sunny day with no chance of rain. Did you know that sunlight kills dust mites? Revitalize your pillows and cushions by stripping them and leaving them out in the sun. Give them at least an hour in full sun on each side before bringing them inside and redressing them. This can also work for duvets hung out on a line.
4. Quick Mattress Clean - Next time you strip the bed, sprinkle baking soda evenly across the mattress. Let it sit as long as possible to absorb odors, oils, and dirt before vacuuming it up.
5. Let Someone Else Do Your Heavy Lifting - Junk King Austin loves to help with spring cleaning. If you have unwanted furniture, large “junk” items, broken appliances, or anything heavy you want removed, getting rid of it is just a phone call away. You don’t even have to break a sweat to give your home some TLC.
Junk King can turn easy spring cleaning into the easiest spring cleaning ever. Just point and we will haul it off: indoors, outdoors, hot tubs, deck removals, boxes, garage clean outs, office spaces, storage units, unwanted furniture, yard waste, concrete, and more. Always environmentally conscious, Junk King donates or recycles up to 60% of what we collect. Give us a call today or book online for your free estimate!
February has become synonymous with the season of love. This year, don’t forget to love your house! We spend every day in our homes, and often forget how much difference can be made in small changes. A little improvement here and there can make us feel refreshed in our most comfortable space. This February, Junk King Austin offers some tips for showing love to your house.
- Quick Fixes – How often do we put off simple tasks simply because we can’t be bothered in the moment? Take an hour out of your weekend and take care of some of those quick fixes you’ve been avoiding – your house will thank you!
- Wipe Down the Walls – Especially if you have pets or children, a quick wipe down of the walls can make your home feel brighter and cleaner. From spills to cooking splatter, our walls can collect more than we realize. Use a wet rag and gently wipe away forgotten messes.
- Fresh Paint – A fresh coat of paint can make a big difference! Love your house by freshening up the paint on your door frames, mailbox, or baseboards. Even a small area will yield feelings of improvement.
- Dust Hard to Reach Places – From light fixtures to high shelves, every home has hard to reach places. Unfortunately, the dust (and spiders!) seem to have far less trouble reaching those spaces. Clean away the cobwebs and remove the dust; you might be surprised how much a 10 minute cleaning job will change the feel of the room.
- Upgrade the Linens – No one likes to use old towels or sheets worn thin from years of washing, yet we often don’t notice the passing of time on our own linens. Assess your towels and bedclothes. Is it time for an upgrade?
- Replace the Bulbs – Do you have any burned out bulbs? Unless it’s the last bulb in the fixture or the prominent light in a room, it can be easy to ignore a burned out bulb. Light bulbs are an important part of the home. This quick fix will literally leave your home brighter!
- Reassign Clutter-Catchers – We all have spots in our homes that seem to collect clutter. Sometimes it’s a desk or a portion of the kitchen counter. Love your house by stopping the clutter-catching cycle! Repurpose the clutter-catching space. If it’s a counter, turn it into a drink station. If it’s a desk, add a lamp or a set of in-boxes. Whatever the space, assess what else it could be used as. Redefining the area will help you resist the temptation to set things down there.
- Ditch the Clutter – Did you know you don’t even have to remove your own clutter? Junk King can come to your house, storage shed, garden, or office space and will go through it with you – room by room – to remove the clutter. You don’t have to move a single box! Junk King Austin wants to help you love your house this year. Give us a call or book online to get rid of that unwanted clutter.
Clutter isn’t the only thing Junk King removes. We can remove anything – big or small – but hazardous waste. We can take apart decks, and haul away furniture or large appliances. We can take away construction waste, clean out garages or storage spaces, remove hot tubs, and even handle yard waste such as branches, fountains, or stone. Junk King Austin also recycles up to 80% of what we collect. Give us a call or book online today to get your free estimate.
A new year has begun, offering us all a fresh start. Regardless of whether or not you believe in New Year’s Resolutions, this is the perfect time of year to get everything in order. A January cleanse for your home is an ideal way to refresh your living space. This year, think of what areas of your house are often overlooked during your routine clean outs. To help you get the year off to a great start, Junk King Austin has compiled a list of the more forgotten areas of your home to consider during your January cleanse:
- The Big Things – Do you have any broken appliances taking up space? How about outdated furniture? Now is the time to assess the big things in you home and mark them for the chopping block.
- Look Out – Look outside, that is. Hot tubs, mowers, lawn furniture, decks, and fountains – everything outside your home should be considered. Is is all in working order? Should any of it be removed?
- The Pantry – When was the last time you went through all of your cans of food? Food has a way of sitting quietly on the shelf, complete unobtrusive and out of date. Don’t forget your baking cabinet!
- Medicines – No one likes to open a bandaid and find that the adhesive is less than sticky. Go through your medicine cabinet and check the dates. This area of the home is rarely addressed, and the consequences of taking old medicine can be severe!
- Extra Clothes – Sure. your ski trip 10 years ago was awesome, but are you really going to go back? Does it even still fit? Be honest with yourself as you tackle your formal wear, winter clothes, and other seasonal, seldom-worn pieces.
- Craft Closet – It’s all rainbows and glitter until it’s time to get organized. Do you need all that yarn? Is that glue even still liquid? Are you ever going to finish that project?
- Linens – Look through your towels and extra sheets. It’s great to have additional linens on hand, but it’s easy to forget to discard the threadbare sheets and ragged towels.
- Paper – Do you keep old magazines? Do you have a stack of mail? Be brave and sort through it. There’s no use keeping it around if you’ll never look at it again. While you’re at it, make a list of publications and mailers than can be received over the internet. Going paperless has never been more convenient.
- Bathroom – Collecting perfumes, lotions, body scrubs, and tubes of mascara is the fun part, but do you actually use them? Go through your cosmetics and bathroom items. Anything you don’t want, add to a pile. Host a girl’s-night-in-spa-night, and invite your guests to take home the items they try.
- Fantasy Emergencies – We all have items we’ve been holding onto ‘just in case’. Well, it’s time to face the music. If you haven’t used it yet, you probably won’t.
Junk King Austin is always ready to help you take back control of your home. We will do all the heavy lifting, and even offer a free estimate. We can do everything from a garage clean out or picking up an unwanted couch, to hot tub and deck removals. It doesn’t matter where the junk is – we go to homes, offices, storage spaces, buildings, and outdoor spaces. We even donate or recycle up to 80% of what we collect! Give us a call today or book online to begin the process of your January cleanse.
Oh, the holiday season! This time of year is so bright and cheerful – and also a bit overwhelming, exhausting, and messy! With all of the parties, events, family time, and gifts, our homes can look like a magical war zone between Santa’s elves and the Keebler’s elves: full of baked goods and discarded bits of wrapping paper. It can be hard to know how to get back on track. Junk King Austin is all too familiar with this holiday haze. We recommend organizing a bit of a Christmas clean up.
To start, save the boxes! It seems logical to recycle them, but use them instead as a vehicle for decluttering. Commit to filling up every leftover box with items to get rid of, whether clothes, toys, or kitchen accessories. The boxes will also help you keep track of how many new things have entered your home – giving you a starting point for how many objects should leave!
Another, slower method is to get rid of 2 items for every new one you receive. This works well if you tally up areas of the house, such as 3 new items for the kitchen, 5 new clothing items, and 2 new DVDs. These would translate to getting rid of 6 kitchen items, 10 items from the wardrobe, and 3 DVD’s or electronics. This method helps ensure that no one area is suddenly bursting with newly acquired stocking stuffers.
Consider setting up a gift closet for duplicates you have received. Re-gifting can be a great way to save money next year and prevent items from being wasted. Just be sure to label who gave you the gifts so they don’t end up back with the original sender!
Avoid throwing all of your Christmas decorations back in the box. Instead, sort the items and inspect them. Are any of them out of date? Are some of them broken? Are there pieces you didn’t even use? Take the time to assess your decorations and prevent keeping unwanted objects for another Christmas season.
Junk King Austin is always ready to help simplify your life and get your home back in order. We remove items large and small, and will save you time (and your back!) that you could be spending relaxing over the holidays. Junk King services homes, offices buildings, and outdoor spaces, and will remove items large and small – including hard to remove items like hot tubs, decks, and large appliances. Give us a call now or book online today and receive a free estimate.
Christmas is right around the corner, and it with it comes an influx of gifts and visitors. Trying to stay on top of housework between Christmas parties and shopping trips can be daunting, much less trying to get a head start on decluttering for the coming new year. Squeezing in pre-holiday cleaning does not have to be utterly time consuming. Just a little improvement here and there is still work done, and you can see and appreciate the difference. Here are some tips for pre-holiday cleaning:
- Don’t skip over the big items. It’s easy to pass right over the large appliances or pieces of furniture during your assessment, but that doesn’t make them more necessary than smaller bits of clutter. Take a second look at hot tubs, old decks, broken appliances, and old couches, and decide if you really need them. Removing a large item can make a huge aesthetic difference very quickly.
- Think about what new gifts are heading into your home. If you know that some things are being replaced, don’t wait until Santa drops them off to get rid of the old model. If you don’t absolutely need it, and you know you are getting another, go ahead and make room.
- Build decluttering into your schedule. Want to go through your wardrobe but feel you don’t have time? Commit to looking through 5 items of clothing as you are getting dressed in the morning. Anything you don’t want, add to a pile. The pressure of adhering to your morning schedule will help you decide if you really need that sweater.
- Focus on the areas of the house you spend the most time in. Making changes in your kitchen or living room will help you feel accomplished and successful, which will encourage you to continue decluttering.
For the ultimate speed and efficiency, call Junk King. We do all the heavy lifting for you, whether the items you need removed are small boxes or larger items like hot tubs, decks, or couches. In fact, with Junk King, you don’t even have to gather the items up. We will go room by room and take what you point to. Junk King removes junk from homes, offices, storage spaces, buildings, and outdoor spaces. Call now or book online to get your free estimate!
No one likes to move, but it is something we must all do at least a couple of times in our life. The task of moving can easily seem overwhelming, chaotic, and stressful. Junk King Austin is here to help with tips to make moving easier:
- It’s a good idea to begin collecting boxes and other packing materials as soon as you know that you are going to move. Boxes, Sharpie markers, packing tape, plastic wrap for furniture, bubble wrap, and packing paper are all great things to have before you begin packing.
- Be sure to clearly label each box with what room it goes in and what is inside.
- Plan ahead for which items you will need immediately upon your arrival at your new house, which items you can do without for a few weeks, and which items you should setup before moving in.
- Moving into a suitcase the last few days before you move makes finding are essential personal items easy.
- The first time you go into your new house when the previous tenants have left, you may be surprised by how much cleaning needs to be done. Make sure to go by the house before your movers arrive, armed with an arsenal of cleaning supplies.
- Another good idea is to walk through your new home beforehand and envision where all the boxes will go. You want to make sure that you’ll have enough room to work around the boxes for unpacking, putting away items, and carrying items from room to room around the piles of boxes still waiting.
- Considered dismantling larger pieces of furniture to make them easier to move. It may take you more time to set up the furniture in the new house than to simply set it down, but it will save you a lot of space and will make carrying the furniture out of the old house and into the new house much easier.
- If you are purchasing new furniture for your new house, make sure to order it well in advance as it can take several weeks for furniture to arrive.
- As tempting as it may be to run out and buy a lot of new items for your new house, make yourself wait. Your decorating ideas may go in a new direction once you have moved in.
- Above all, be sure to take care of yourself. Moving can be very stressful. Have a friend keep any pets or children on the moving day so that you can focus better on your task. Also consider buying takeout food for the day that you move in, as you will likely not feel like cooking and most of your kitchen things will be in boxes.
Junk King Austin is always ready to help. We clean out and haul away literally anything and everything but hazardous waste. If you find that the previous owners left behind a mess, Junk King Austin can come by and clean up anything from cluttered attics, forgotten sheds, messy garages, and any old appliances left behind. Far from limited to simply moving jobs, we can clean out any building, home, office, and even outdoor spaces. Call us today for a free estimate 512-994-2250, or book online.
Cleaning is an important part of home ownership. No one likes living in a dirty home, but have you ever felt unsure about using strange chemicals in your home? Junk King Austin has some tips for DIY cleaners:
Mix 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol, and 5 drops of peppermint essential oil in a 24 oz spray bottle; shake slightly to combine.
In a bowl, combine ¼ cup natural dish soap, ¼ cup baking soda, 5 drops cloves essential oil, and about 3 drops of water. Use as a heavy scrub; works well with the rough side of the double-sided sponge. Wipe up with wet cloth.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine ¼ cup white vinegar and 1 cup of water. Heat for 45 seconds. Pour into a spray bottle and spritz onto shower surface. Let sit for 4 minutes and wipe clean.
Into a 24 ounce spray bottle combine ½ cup white vinegar, ½ cup vodka, 10 drops lavender essential oil, 10 drops lemon essential oil, 1 1/2 cups water. Shake well. Spray and let sit for 10 minutes before wiping up with a cloth. To be used as a disinfectant.
In a 2 gallon bucket mix ½ cup white vinegar, 1 gallon warm water, and 2 to 3 drops of lemon essential oil. Dip mop head in bucket and ring out. Use on floors.
Junk King Austin is always ready to help you clean out your home, office, building, or outdoor space. We will take away anything and everything that is not hazardous waste- even large appliances like hot tubs, refrigerators, and washers and dryers. Call now or book online today to get your free estimate.
An organized garage is a happy garage. It is always nice to know where everything is and to feel that a space is clean and well kept. This is especially true in the garage. Organizing your garage will give you a sense of accomplishment as well as the feeling of being in control and on top of your home. Junk King of Austin is here with some tips for organizing your garage:
- Take stock of everything currently in your garage. There is no way to organize the unknown. The first step is always to know what you’re dealing with. Do not shortchange this step; open every box, inspect every shelf, and go through every bag.
- Make a pile for each kind of the item, including a pile of objects to get rid of. Group together items for camping, tools, etc.
- Once everything has been grouped, check for duplicates. Make sure that you only have one of each item and donate or sell repetitions.
- Assess what systems of organization works best for you and your family. Try to avoid a complete overhaul, unless your garage was a total disorganized disaster area. If there was simply no order before you started organizing then a total restructuring may be called for.
- Think about the most logical way to group items in zones. It makes sense, for example, to store all the toys in one place.
- Take measurements and decide which new organizational pieces to buy. For instance, you may want a work bench, storage bins, or need a few more shelves.
- Open floor space is often the goal of garage organization. Keep that in mind as you begin putting away items in their new homes. Shelving can be your best friend when optimizing storage space in the garage.
Whatever your decisions to reorganize your garage, Junk King Austin is here to help. We clean out spaces and haul away unwanted junk, including large appliances. We are prepared for homes, attics, basements, garages, sheds, office buildings, and outdoor spaces. We will haul away anything and everything that is not hazardous waste. Book online or call today for your free estimate!
- To offer you an estimate in writing
- To beat any written estimate
- The best service in our industry