Many people across the US suffer from what is known as ‘ hoarding disorder’ and this condition progresses with time making them difficult at most times to live with. Family members are at often baffled at why loved ones refuse to get rid of unwanted and sometimes outdated items.
It is fair to suggest that hoarding can be the result of several underlying beliefs. Some of the beliefs that hoarders hold dear are:
- Excessively acquiring items that are not needed.
- Building up of clutter to the point where rooms become unusual.
- Persistent difficulty throwing or parting with items.
- They feel safer when surrounded by the things they save
- They don’t want to waste anything
- The items have emotional important value or sentiments
- They believe the items are unique and important because they will be needing it at some point of time
Hoarding can have its negative effects in the household. People who practice hoarding and refuse to discard and undertake regular cleanouts can experience:
- A buildup of food or trash to unusually excessive, unsanitary levels
- Conflict with others who try to reduce or remove clutter form their home.
- Difficulty organizing items, sometimes losing important items in their clutter.
Hoarding often creates cramped living conditions that can cause homes to be filled to capacity with narrow pathways festered with stacks of clutter. People who show the characteristics of a hoarder often times don’t understand that is what they are doing. They believe they are storing items for good use ‘some day’ but, what in fact they are doing is hoarding unwanted items that need to be disposed.
If you truly want to help hoarders you should:
- Focus more on the individual, and less on the items you want them to discard.
- They’ll need all the support you can give and this is essential when dealing with very emotional individuals
- Set achievable goals and celebrate the small victories, they’ll appreciate it and open more about their condition and situation.
- Allow your loved one to feel in control as no one enjoys feeling bullied or pressured.
- Educate them on alternative help strategies to deal with their issue.
We at junk advise you to take control and relinquish all your old junk. You’ll be surprised to see how liberating the entire process will make you feel. We take away a number of items, making it easy for you to pick up the phone and call for a booking.
Not only will you reap the benefits associated with decluttering but your family members as well, and they’ll love you for it. Bring positive change to the lives of those who matter most. Contact us for more information.