Maybe you’ve decided to buy a new mattress. Or maybe you’re shifting to a new place, and everything you own must go. In both cases, you own an old mattress that you might no longer need but have no idea what to do with it.
Mattress Disposal Options
There are several mattress disposal methods, and each has its own merits and demerits. Depending on your location and the shape of your mattress, you will have different options. In this article, we will discuss each mattress disposal method so you can choose one that is suitable for you. Each method has a step by step description of how to go about the process efficiently.
Recycling is one of the most eco-friendly and cost-effective methods of disposing of your mattress. 80% of mattresses can be recycled, but before recycling, you have to consider the following factors:
- Ensure your mattress is free from stains and bugs
- Find a mattress recycling facility if there’s one in your location.
- Reach out to the facility to enquire about the cost and pick up services.
- Prepare your mattress for recycling as instructed by the facility.
Generally, your mattress doesn’t have to be in a perfect shape to be eligible for recycling, and not all states have mattress recycling facilities. For a mattress to be recycled, it has to be broken down into different parts. Soft substances like cotton, polyester and foam are compressed to be used in insulation, padding, textiles and carpet.
Metal, on the other hand, is used as scrap that can be used in construction. Wood is either pulverized for mulching or burnt. Other non-reusable parts are usually disposed of to a landfill.
Donating a mattress may appear as an easy and less complicated process. But, several steps need to be followed:
- Ensure your mattress is in good shape free from stains or any broken components.
- Find a local charitable organization in your area.
- Reach out to the organization to inquire if they accept mattress donations. If you have no means of transport, ensure you ask about their pick up services.
- Give out your mattress and ensure you get a donation receipt.
Donating a mattress comes with no costs unless you have to deliver it to the donation center. Also, if the mattress has to be collected from your home, there’s a possibility of parting with a few coins. This, however, will depend on where you live.
Each locality has its own rules about the types of items eligible for donation. Therefore, it is important that you first inquire from the donation center near you regarding your mattress’ donation decision.
In some situations, you may not have a choice but to throw your old mattress away. A poorly maintained mattress cannot be eligible for donation or recycling. While you might have seen other people leave their mattresses on the streets, this is not a wise mattress disposal option. Instead, follow these simple steps to junk your mattress:
- Check with the retailer or manufacturer of your new mattress to confirm whether they offer disposal services.
- Carry your mattress to the local dumpsite and dispose it. Before that, you will have to reach out to your city council to inquire about the costs associated with junking a mattress at the dumpsite.
- If you can’t dispose of the mattress, get the quote from the junk hauling services. Ensure the charges are all-inclusive (service, tax, handling or other extra charges). You can find a local junk removal service provider on the internet if you can’t trace one in your area.
- Decide on the hauling company that meets your needs and schedule a pickup time and payment.
To recover a portion of its original cost, some people chose to sell their old mattresses. If you decide on this option, here are some steps to follow:
- Gather all the information about the mattress, including the model, size and brand.
- Analyze its condition. At least, it should be in a relatively ‘fair’ shape for you to get a reasonable value out of it. It should not have stains, and you can vacuum or spot clean it following the manufacturers’ guidelines to freshen it.
- Decide on a reasonable price. Most people will prefer spending a large amount of money on a new mattress so your price should be fair enough.
- Post a mattress ad on different social media sites such as Letgo, Next Door and Craigslist. Ensure you include the asking price, images, an honest analysis of the mattress appearance etc.
Give your mattress a decent send-off! You might have come across an improperly disposed of mattress but is that the place where your old mattress belongs? Your mattress served you right for several years. Now, it is your turn to appreciate that by utilizing a safe mattress disposal method. Contact us for more information.