The EPA estimates that every year over 230 million tons of trash—nearly 5 pounds per person per day—is generated in the U.S. And that’s just items consumers put out after use for local waste collection: bottles, food, boxes, sofas, grass clippings, computers, refrigerators, and tires. What it doesn’t include are common items sent to landfills such as construction debris and other non-hazardous wastes.
Junk King of Marin’s professional, fast, and green removal services can help you dispose of all your unwanted junk and trash.
The 5 Kinds of Waste
Waste can be solid or liquid and may or may not be hazardous.
- Solid waste is any garbage, rubbish, or refuse produced in a home or business.
- Liquid waste is self-explanatory but may also include solid waste that has been converted to a liquid for disposal.
- Organic waste includes plant and animal sources such as fruit and vegetable peels, flower trimmings, and even pet waste. They are biodegradable and many people compost them for use in the garden.
- Recyclable waste covers materials that can potentially be processed into new and useful products. Aluminum cans, many plastics, glass bottles, and paper products often fall into this category.
- Hazardous waste poses risks to the environment or public health and includes inflammables, reactives, corrosives, and toxic materials that can easily catch fire, explode, eat through metal, or poison animals and humans. Common household items that fall into this category include old propane tanks, fire extinguishers, and most pesticides.
Each type of material requires its own method of waste collection and disposal. Junk King of Marin can help you sort through and figure out which of your wastes can be recycle, reused, or repurposed, as well as which materials are considered hazardous.
Waste Collection and Disposal Practices
There are 4 major methods of household waste collection and disposal.
- Landfills are the most popular and involve burying waste underground.
- Incineration burns solid wastes at high temperatures, converting them into residue and gaseous products.
- Recovery and recycling takes useful unwanted junk and debris and processes it into new materials or forms of energy for heating, electricity, and fuel.
- Recycling converts waste materials into new products with the goal of preventing consumption of new raw materials and energy usage while reducing the volume of waste that ends up in landfills. It also aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and air and water pollution so to preserve natural resources for future generations.
Junk King of Marin is Your Waste Collection Partner
Junk King of Marin encourages our residential and business customers to see recycling and repurposing as a philanthropic endeavor that reduces their environmental footprint. We’re passionate about the environment and our waste collection services are designed to serve and benefit our local communities while protecting the planet.
If you live in Marin County and need a socially responsible waste collection company that offers quality and friendly service, we’re the one to call! We have long considered ourselves a leader in green-based waste removal services. We are North America’s green junk removal company! Our professional and friendly crews make quick work of sorting and hauling away every type of waste from your home or business facility.
To learn more about our waste collection and other debris removal services, give us a call, text us a photo, or book an appointment online today! We look forward to serving you!