Did you know that just 51 percent of floors in U.S. homes continued to have carpet today, according to industry experts? Though carpeting used to be much more popular in homes, today homeowners across the country are increasingly choosing to install hardwood flooring, linoleum, laminate, tile, cork flooring, among other options.
If you feel that your home might benefit from removing that old, stained, musky smelling carpet, what exactly are you supposed to do with those rolls and pieces of old, dirty carpet? Below, we explain why carpet disposal is on the rise, the most environmentally friendly way to get rid of your old carpet, and why Junk King of San Fernando Valley offers the safest, most efficient, and most environmentally friendly carpet disposal service in the country.
Why People are Replacing Carpet in their Homes?
As we mentioned in the introduction, many homeowners across the country are choosing to replace their carpeting without other flooring alternatives. Some of the reasons for this include:
- An increased interest in healthier indoor air quality: Carpeting throughout the home is often a place where mold and mildew can quickly accumulate. Many types of carpeting are also made from synthetic fibers that can off-gas dangerous volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air inside your home. Furthermore, the thick fibers of carpet can also act as a “trap” where VOCs from other sources of your home can settle and later be released during vacuuming.
- Loss in Home Value: Though new carpet might look nice in a new home or a recently remodeled home, studies are showing that potential buyers do not put much value in new carpeting. According to HomeAdvisor.com, new carpet in general tends not to affect resale value either way. For hardwood floors, on the other hand, 54 percent of buyers say they are willing to pay $2,080 more for new hardwood flooring.
- More maintenance and shorter life spans: Another reason people are choosing to get rid of their carpeting is due to the fact that it simply takes up more of their time to keep their carpeting clean. Even if you regularly vacuum and steam clean your carpeting, carpets generally have a shorter lifespan than other options such as hardwood flooring, tile, etc.
The Environmental Problems with Carpet Waste
Given these problems with carpeting, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that there is an enormous amount of carpeting that gets thrown away each and every year. According to a recent study conducted by the non-profit organization “Changing Markets:”
In 2014, the carpet industry in the United States (U.S.) produced 11.7 billion square feet of carpet and rugs. Approximately 3.5% of all waste disposed in U.S. landfills (4 billion pounds) is carpet discard. Despite the existence of the industry-led Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE) initiative to responsibly manage carpet waste, an astounding 89% is discarded in landfill, 6% is incinerated, and less than 5% is recycled. Of the 5% that is recycled, only 20% is recycled in a closed loop- i.e. turned back into carpet, the rest is down-cycled into less valuable products. That means that only 1% of carpet discards are recycled back into carpet each year.
Carpeting scraps and carpet waste, then, takes up an enormous amount of space in our already over-crowded landfill system. As an inorganic source of waste, carpet waste also contributes to large amounts of methane emissions via landfill gas, thus contributing to global warming.
What to do with your Carpet Waste?
If you live in San Fernando Valley and want to change out the old, dirty, and stained carpet in your guest bedroom, what might be the most environmentally friendly strategy? For carpeting that is still in good shape, you might consider donating that carpet to a thrift store specializing in home furnishings, such as Habitat for Humanity´s Re-Stores.
For carpeting that is no longer useful for donating, some carpeting may be recyclable. A carpet is fully-recyclable when the fibers can be easily separated from the backing and recycled back to carpet and the backing is also recycled. Currently most carpets on the market are only partially-recyclable, which means that only face-fibers or backing can be recycled while the rest finds another use, or ends up in incinerators or landfills.
The most environmentally friendly way to get rid of old carpeting from your home or business is to hire Junk King of San Fernando Valley. We have years of experience in helping individuals, homeowners, and business owners in San Fernando Valley get rid of virtually every type of junk item that is not classified as toxic waste.
In the specific case of carpet disposal, we work with several recyclers in the region, and also sort through the items we haul away to determine what might be able to be recovered for donation.
How to Hire Junk King of San Fernando Valley for your Carpet Disposal Needs?
We also firmly believe that every one of our commercial and residential customers should be able to get a fair and transparent pricing estimate. To that end, we offer four different ways to get a free estimate for your carpet disposal.
- On-Site Pricing Estimate: On-site pricing is the best and most accurate way for us to assess the job and offer you the lowest price. Unlike other companies, our on-site pricing estimates are completely free, and come with no-obligation on your part. Our junk removal professionals will inspect the amount of carpet and other junk you need hauled away and offer you an upfront price. If a price agreed upon, we will often be able to get rid of your junk on the same day.
- Call to Talk with a Trained Customer Service Representative: If you´d prefer to talk with someone before making a decision, you can call us toll-free at 1-888-888-JUNK. Our customer service representatives can offer you a pricing estimate and help you plan the logistics of removing the old carpet and other junk from your home or business.
- Text us a Photo: Also, you can simply take a photo of your junk and text us at 737-888-5865. We will promptly text you back a transparent price estimate. Once you accept the estimate, all you have to do is wait for the Junk King truck to arrive.
- Online Pricing Estimator: Lastly, Junk King also offers an easy-to-use online pricing estimator. Simply enter your zip code to ensure that you are in right service area and provide a few more pieces of information regarding the type and size of the junk you need removed. Our pricing estimator allows you to receive a transparent cost estimate based on either the actual items you need hauled away, or the anticipated volume in the Junk King truck you plan on taking up. The online pricing estimator is convenient, reliable, and time saving for those on a tight schedule.
No matter what option you choose, as soon as a price is agreed upon, you choose a date and two-hour service window that works for your schedule. Our junk removal professionals will call you 15-30 minutes before we show up to promptly take your junk away!
No matter what type of junk you need hauled away, we are here to help you efficiently and easily free up space in your home or business. Give us a call at 1-888-888-JUNK, text a photo to 1-737-888-5865, or book an appointment online to save $20 on orders totaling more than $99. Junk King continues to offer free, on-site written estimates, which is still the best way for us to give you our lowest pricing possible.