When you read the statistics on the amount of waste that we collectively produce on a daily, monthly, or yearly basis, it quickly becomes apparent that all of us have a responsibility in doing our part to reduce that amount of junk that gets carelessly sent to the dump. Consider some of the following statistics:
- Statistically, every individual in the U.S. produces around 4.5 pounds of waste each day, and that figure is significantly higher in California (closer to 6 pounds per person).
- Of those 4.5 pounds of garbage that we each throw away on a daily basis, at least 75 percent of that waste could either be reused, recycled, or composted.
- Despite major gains in composting and municipal recycling programs, the average recycling rate across the United States is hovering around 34 percent, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Compared to Germany, which has a recycling rate of 67 per cent for household waste, around 70 per cent for production and commercial waste, and almost 90 per cent for construction and demolition waste, it´s clear that we have a way to go to reduce our environmental footprint.
- Recent studies have shown that humanity today uses the equivalent of 1.6 Earths to provide the resources we use and absorb our waste. This “ecological overshoot” means it now takes the Earth one year and eight months to regenerate what we use in a year.
- The average home in the United States has over 300,000 items;
- Despite the fact that our homes are larger and our families smaller, around 10 percent of Americans continue to rent offsite storage facilities to store the amount of “stuff” we purchase.
- The average family in the United States spends around $1,700 on clothes purchases every year. At the same time, the average individual in America throws away 65 pounds of clothing every year!
So what exactly can people and businesses in North Hollywood do to help reduce the amount of waste we produce and our ecological footprint? Below, we outline a couple recent statewide efforts to cut back on the amount of waste we produce. We then explain why Junk King of San Fernando Valley is the best option to help people deal with their waste in the most ecological and environmentally friendly way possible while also maintaining compliance with California´s waste management laws.
California’s Leading Environmental Legislation on Waste Reduction
California has always been at the forefront of implementing the most progressive environmental laws and regulations. In terms of waste management, recycling, waste reduction, and landfill diversion strategies, the following laws have recently been passed or amended:
- AB 939: California Integrated Waste Management Act: This law originally established standards for solid waste handling and disposal to protect air, water, and land from pollution. It is also regularly updated to pressure cities and municipalities to reduce the amount of waste that is sent to landfills. Currently, this state law requires each jurisdiction in California to divert at least 50% of its waste stream away from landfills either through waste reduction, recycling, donation, or other similar strategies.
- AB 341: Mandatory Commercial Recycling: This law, which dates to 2011, established a statewide recycling goal of 75 percent by 2020. This law requires California commercial or public entities that generate four or more cubic yards of solid waste per week, and multifamily dwellings of five or more units, to arrange for recycling services.
- SB 54: Reduction in Single-Use Plastics: This law requires that California achieve both a 25 percent reduction of plastics in single-use products by 2032 and a 30 percent recycling, reuse or composting rate for single-use plastics used in the state by 2028, 40 percent by 2030, and 65 percent by 2032.
How to Ensure Compliance with these Waste Management Laws
For both businesses, individuals, and other residents of North Hollywood, staying compliant with these environmental laws and regulations may seem like a challenge, especially when the regular trash service is not able to help you deal with certain junk items. While all of us can separate our trash into the corresponding bins, how exactly can we avoid sending bulky junk items, e-waste items, and other similar items to the dump?
Junk King of San Fernando Valley is proud to be the top-rated junk removal company in the southern California region. We provide the most efficient, affordable, and environmentally friendly junk removal services to both businesses, homeowners, and individuals in North Hollywood. We also serve the wider San Fernando Valley area, including the communities of Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Canoga Park, Chatsworth, Granada Hills, Los Angeles, Newbury Park, Oak Park, Porter Ranch, San Fernando, Thousand Oaks, West Hills, Westlake Village, and Woodland Hills.
We are one of the few junk removal companies in the region that has an environmental ethic as a foundational element of our business model. We are proud to say that all of our franchises across the country are committed to recycling, donating, repurposing, or “upcycling” at least 60 percent of the junk that we pick up. We are also committed to maintaining compliance with all relevant laws and regulations. When you hire us for any junk removal need, our junk removal teams will never simply take those items straight to the landfill. Rather, we go the extra mile to sort through the junk we pick up in order to determine what items can be donated, repurposed, refurbished, or recycled.
Another benefit that comes with hiring Junk King of San Fernando Valley is that our junk haulers will do all the heavy lifting and towing. You simply have to let us know where the junk is located and we will do the rest. Due to the continued COVID-19 pandemic, we also offer no-contact service, meaning that you never have to physically interact with our junk removal technicians.
Additionally, providing our customers with “fair and transparent” pricing is one of the hallmarks of our company and we even offer your four different ways to get a free estimate including on-site price estimates, a toll free number to talk with a trained customer service specialist, free quotes via text message, and even an online pricing estimator that allows you to get an instant quote for your zip code.
No matter what option you choose, as soon as a price is agreed upon, you choose a date and two-hour service window that works for your schedule. Our junk removal professionals will call you 15-30 minutes before we show up to promptly take your junk away! Our company is also fully insured, bonded, and licensed so that you can rest assured that you will never have to deal with unforeseen liabilities.
No matter what type of junk you need to get rid of in North Hollywood, we are here to lend a helping hand. Give us a call at 1-888-888-JUNK, text a photo to 1-737-888-5865, or book an appointment online to save $20 on orders totaling more than $99. Junk King continues to offer free, on-site written estimates, which is still the best way for us to give you our lowest pricing possible.