Lots of Columbus residents suffer from allergies and asthma. In Ohio and the rest of the U.S. rates of people affected have been rising for the last few decades. If this sounds like you, be aware of the exacerbating effects caused by dust mites.
Dust mites are everywhere and are one of the most common triggers of asthma. In addition, they can cause skin irritation and inflame allergic responses.
Dust mites live in all of our homes, consuming the calls our body sheds (especially skin cells). The feces of the dust mite can be an allergen, causing breathing and skin problems. There can be tens of thousands of dust mites on a visible particle of ‘dust,’ and they produce every hour or so. That’s a lot of dust mite poop!
Here are a few things you can do—or we can do for you—to help you win the battle against allergies, asthma and other breathing-related problems like COPD:
1. Get rid of the junk and debris. Extra clutter attracts dust, traps moisture, and is a veritable playground for dust mites. Junk King Columbus will gladly help you remove and dispose of unwanted junk.
2. Deeply clean furniture and other fabrics such as drapes.
3. Vacuum rugs and carpets regularly.
4. Keep the air dry with air-conditioning or a dehumidifier. Dust mites like humidity.
5. Use a HEPA filter to 3 microns. If your house doesn’t have an air filter, then your lungs are the air filter.
6. Other methods of cleaning the air such as ionizers and ozone generators work great but should be used places where the air is treated well before it reaches the air you are breathing. These technologies work by binding to matter in the air but breathing ozone (it is neutralized once bound to the other particles) can actually make things worse.
These recommendations may also help pollen allergy relief. It may not be much of an issue now but ‘April showers bring May flowers,’ and with them comes hay fever in the Buckeye state. Stay healthy and feel free to call us for help with this and all your spring cleaning in the Columbus area.